Behaviors to consider:
- Do they appear to be depressed? Are they depressed?
- Are they on a prescription drug, as some of the side effect of these medications are suicidal ideation
- Are they using illegal drugs?
- Did they have a trauma? Or has grief been an issue that have been struggling?
- Do you have other family members which have died by suicide, is it in your genes?
- Are they hanging out with an unsavory crowd?
- Have they been extremely high maintenance and now, all of a sudden, for no reason they are being good. This may mean they have made plans to end their life as a way to alleviate the personal pain themselves and are at peace knowing their pain will be over soon.
- Are they becoming more and more isolated? Meaning, do they spend more time on line in their room then they do with other people?
Things a teenager may be feeling:
- I don’t fit in.
- Nobody understands me.
- I have no one to support me
- I have an unengaging and distant family where no one shows affection for each other
- I just want the pain to end,
- I am under too much pressure from my parents expectations.
- Nobody likes me.